Tag Archive Entering The United States

ByPhillip Kim

Fiancé(e) Visas by Immigration Attorney in Fresno

This page provides information for U.S. citizens wishing to bring a foreign national fiancé(e)

living abroad to the United States to marry.

If you plan to marry a foreign national outside the United States or your fiancé(e) is already

residing legally in the United States, you do not need to file for a fiancé(e) visa.

Eligibility Requirements

If you petition for a fiancé(e) visa, you must show that:

● You (the petitioner) are a U.S. citizen.
● You intend to marry within 90 days of your fiancé(e) entering the United States.
● You and your fiancé(e) are both free to marry and any previous marriages must have

been legally terminated by divorce, death, or annulment.
● You met each other, in person, at least once within 2 years of filing your petition. There

are two exceptions that require a waiver:
1. If the requirement to meet would violate strict and long-established customs of your or

your fiancé(e)’s foreign culture or social practice.
2. If you prove that the requirement to meet would result in extreme hardship to you.
Application Process

After the Fiancé(e) Visa is Issued

Once issued, the fiancé(e) visa (or K-1 nonimmigrant visa) allows your fiancé(e) to enter the

United States for 90 days so that your marriage ceremony can take place. Once you marry,

your spouse may apply for permanent residence and remain in the United States

Children of Fiancé(e)s

If your fiancé(e) has a child (under 21 and unmarried), a K-2 nonimmigrant visa may be

available to him or her. Be sure to include the names of your fiancé(e)’s children

Permission to Work

After admission, your fiancé(e) may immediately apply for permission to work Application

for Employment Authorization.

What happens if we do not marry within 90 days?

Fiancé(e) status automatically expires after 90 days. It cannot be extended. Your fiancé(e)

should leave the United States at the end of the 90 days if you do not marry. If your fiancé

(e) does not depart, he or she will be in violation of U.S. immigration law. This may result in

removal (deportation) and/or could affect future eligibility for U.S. immigration benefits.

We want to make plans for our wedding. How long will this process take?

To check the current processing times
For More Information, Please Contact:
Fresno Immigration Attorney Phillip Kim
(559) 761-9742

ByPhillip Kim

Employment-Based Immigration by Attorney in Fresno: First Preference EB-1

Employment-Based Immigration: First Preference EB-1
You may be eligible for an employment-based, first-preference visa if you have an

extraordinary ability, are an outstanding professor or researcher, or are a multinational

executive or manager. Each occupational category has certain requirements that must be


Eligibility Criteria
◆ Extraordinary Ability
You must be able to demonstrate extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education,

business, or athletics through sustained national or international acclaim. Your

achievements must be recognized in your field through extensive documentation. No offer

of employment is required.

◆ Outstanding professors and researchers
You must demonstrate international recognition for your outstanding achievements in a

particular academic field. You must have at least 3 years experience in teaching or

research in that academic area. You must be entering the United States in order to

pursue tenure or tenure track teaching or comparable research position at a university or

other institution of higher education.

◆ Multinational manager or executive
You must have been employed outside the United States in the 3 years preceding the

petition for at least 1 year by a firm or corporation and you must be seeking to enter the

United States to continue service to that firm or organization. Your employment must

have been outside the United States in a managerial or executive capacity and with the

same employer, an affiliate, or a subsidiary of the employer.

For More Information, Please Contact:
Fresno Immigration Attorney Phillip Kim
(559) 761-9742

* Criteria for Demonstrating Extraordinary Ability
You must meet 3 out of the 10 listed criteria below to prove extraordinary ability in your


● Evidence of receipt of lesser nationally or internationally recognized prizes or awards

for excellence
● Evidence of your membership in associations in the field which demand outstanding

achievement of their members
● Evidence of published material about you in professional or major trade publications or

other major media
● Evidence that you have been asked to judge the work of others, either individually or

on a panel
● Evidence of your original scientific, scholarly, artistic, athletic, or business-related

contributions of major significance to the field
● Evidence of your authorship of scholarly articles in professional or major trade

publications or other major media
● Evidence that your work has been displayed at artistic exhibitions or showcases
● Evidence of your performance of a leading or critical role in distinguished organizations
● Evidence that you command a high salary or other significantly high remuneration in

relation to others in the field
● Evidence of your commercial successes in the performing arts

** Examples of Documentary Evidence That A Person is an Outstanding Professor Or


● Evidence of receipt of major prizes or awards for outstanding achievement
● Evidence of membership in associations that require their members to demonstrate

outstanding achievement
● Evidence of published material in professional publications written by others about the

alien’s work in the academic field
● Evidence of participation, either on a panel or individually, as a judge of the work of

others in the same or allied academic field
● Evidence of original scientific or scholarly research contributions in the field
● Evidence of authorship of scholarly books or articles (in scholarly journals with

international circulation) in the field

For More Information, Please Contact:
Fresno Immigration Attorney Phillip Kim
(559) 761-9742