Apply for a Visa

*** Please note that the chart below includes more frequently used types of nonimmigrant visas and the associated purpose of travel with links to relevant webpages. However, it should be noted this chart is not a complete list of all purposes of travel or types of nonimmigrant visas. Each visa applicant must meet the eligibility requirements for the type of visa for which he/she is applying, as determined by the consular officer at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate, following U.S. immigration laws.

Purpose of Travel to U.S. and Nonimmigrant Visas Visa Type Required: Before Applying for Visa*

Athletes, amateur & professional (compete for prize money only) B-1 (NA)
Au pairs (exchange visitor)

Australian professional specialty E-3 DOL
Border Crossing Card: Mexico BCC (NA)

Business visitors B-1 (NA)
Diplomats and foreign government officials A (NA)

Domestic employees or nanny -must be accompanying a foreign national employer B-1 (NA)
Employees of a designated international organization, and NATO G1-G5, NATO (NA)
Exchange visitors J SEVIS

Foreign military personnel stationed in the U.S. A-2
NATO1-6 (NA)
Foreign nationals with extraordinary ability in Sciences, Arts, Education, Business or Athletics O USCIS

Free Trade Agreement (FTA) Professionals: Chile, Singapore H-1B1 DOL
International cultural exchange visitors Q USCIS
Intra-company transferees L USCIS

Medical treatment, visitors for B-2 (NA)
Media, journalists I (NA)
NAFTA professional workers: Mexico, Canada TN/TD (NA)

Nurses coming to health professional shortage areas H1-C USCIS

Performing athletes, artists, entertainers P USCIS

Physician J, H-1B SEVIS

Professor, scholar, teacher (exchange visitor) J SEVIS

Religious workers R (USCIS)

Specialty occupations in fields requiring highly specialized knowledge H-1B DOL then USCIS

Students: academic, vocational F, M SEVIS

Temporary agricultural workers H-2A DOL then USCIS

Temporary workers performing other services or labor of a temporary or seasonal nature. H-2B DOL then USCIS

Tourism, vacation, pleasure visitors B2 (NA)

Training in a program not primarily for employment H-3 USCIS

Treaty traders/treaty investors E (NA)

Transiting the United States C (NA)

Visa Renewals – Available in the U.S. (NA)

*What the abbreviations (above) mean:
Before applying for a visa at a U.S. Embassy abroad the following is required:
DOL = The U.S. employer must obtain foreign labor certification from the U.S. Department of Labor, prior to filing a petition with USCIS.
USCIS = DHS, United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) must approve a petition, filed by the U.S. employer (or U.S. citizen, for fiancé petitions)
SEVIS = Program approval entered in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS)
(NA) = Not Applicable – Means that additional approval by other government agencies is not required prior to applying for a visa at the U.S. Embassy abroad.

Note: Canadian NAFTA Professional workers- Visa not required, apply to CBP at border port-of-entry.

Request an Immigration Consultation Today