Apply for a Green Card

statue-of-liberty1If you would like to become a lawful permanent resident in the United States, you must file the following items with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services:

Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status (for Green Card)

Biographic Data Sheet (Between the ages of 14 and 79)

Medical Examination Sheet (not required if you are applying based on continuous residence since before 1972, or if you have had a medical exam based on a fiancé visa)

Two color photos taken within 30 days

Affidavit of Support (completed by the sponsor). (This requirement may not apply to you if you are adjusting to permanent resident status based on an employment petition.)

Authorization for Employment (if seeking employment while case is processed). For more information, see How Do I Get a Work Permit?

Evidence of inspection, admission or parole into the United States (Form I-94, Arrival Departure Record).

In addition:

If you have already been approved for an immigrant petition , you must submit a copy of the approval notice sent to you by the USCIS.

If someone else is or has filed a petition for you that, if approved, will make an immigrant number immediately available to you, you must submit a copy of the completed petition that is being filed for you. Such applications include only immediate relative, special immigrant juvenile or special immigrant military petitions.

If you were admitted into the United States as a fiancé of a U.S. citizen and married that citizen within the required 90 days, you must submit a copy of the fiancé petition approval notice and a copy of your marriage certificate.

If you are an asylee or refugee, you must submit a copy of the letter or Form I-94 (Arrival-Departure Record) that shows the date you were granted asylum or refuge in the United States.

If you are a Cuban citizen or native, you must use an Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status and submit evidence of your citizenship or nationality.

If you have been a continuous resident of the United States since before January 1, 1972, you must submit evidence showing that you entered the United States prior to January 1, 1972 and that you have lived in the United States continuously since your entry into the country.

If your parent became a lawful permanent resident (green card holder) after you were born, you must submit evidence that your parent has been or will be granted permanent residence. You must also submit a copy of your birth certificate, and proof of your relationship with your parent.

If your spouse became a lawful permanent resident (green card) after you were married, you must submit evidence that your spouse has been granted permanent residence (green card). You must also submit a copy of your marriage certificate and proof that any previous marriages entered into by you or your spouse were legally terminated.
Please note that there are certain eligibility requirements for using an Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status.

*** Please note that the list of the documents above is by no means complete. Necessary documents vary depending on the specific facts of the case.

Request an Immigration Consultation Today

Immigration Attorney Phillip Kim represents his clients from the Greater Fresno Area. Immigration Lawyer Phillip Kim also covers the Central Valley, Southern California, and Northern California including Fresno County, Kings County, Kern County, Stanislaus County, Tulare County, Merced County, San Joaquin Valley County, Los Angeles County, and the San Francisco Bay area. Many clients come from the cities such as Fresno, Clovis, Sanger, Merced, Tulare, Visalia, Modesto, Stockton, Hanford, Lemoore, San Jose, San Francisco, and San Diego.