Tag Archive Application Process


The Fiancée Visa Application Process and How to Get Your Green Card as a Former Fiancé(e) Non-immigrant

If you are the fiancé of a U.S. citizen, you can apply for a visa in order to travel to the U.S. and perform your marriage ceremony. After your 90-day fiancée visa expires and you are married to a U.S. citizen, you can apply for a change of status to become a permanent resident with a green card.

The application process has a few steps you can follow below:

1. The U.S. citizen partner should file a petition for fiancée non-immigrant. This form has a filing fee of $340 and will require you to submit documentation of your relationship with your partner, documentation of the petitioner’s citizenship status, family-based immigration forms, biographic information, and any past immigration history. Applicants who have petitioned for 2 or more K-1 visas in the past must file for a waiver in order to be eligible to apply for any additional fiancé visas. You should file this form with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services lockbox in Dallas. Take care to address your application, completely fully and correctly, to the correct location. The fiancé visa application cannot be processed at local USCIS offices abroad or in the U.S. Failure to submit your petition to the correct destination may result in a long delay in your review process.

2. After your fiancé visa is approved, travel to the U.S. and perform your marriage ceremony as soon as possible to avoid violating any immigration laws. Your fiancé visa is only active for a duration of 90 days. After this period the visa will expire and you will be required to depart the U.S. if you are still unmarried. If you remain present in the U.S. on an expired visa you may prompt removal or deportation proceedings which can negatively affect your chances to immigrate in the future.

3. After travelling to the U.S., the immigrant party is eligible to apply for employment authorization. The citizen partner does not need to petition for employment authorization on behalf of the immigrant. If you have K-1 non-immigrant status and want to work, you can file this form with USCIS. There is a filing fee of $380.

4. After you and your spouse are married, the immigrant spouse can file for a change of status to conditional permanent resident. In order to be granted resident status there must be a visa readily available to you. At first, your green card will be on a conditional basis, which means it does have an expiration date. You should file separately for your immigrant children. Each application for change of status has a filing fee of $985. After your petition for residence in approved, you can live legally in the U.S.

5. You can file a waiver to have the conditions taken off of your green card and have your permanent resident status instated. If you do not choose to waive the conditions to your residence, it may expire or be limited. While living on a conditional green card, you should look into immigration law to ensure you do not violate the conditions of your residence. Any conditional resident children can be included on the main applicant’s waiver for unconditional residence.

For more information and help with getting a visa or green card, contact immigration attorney Phillip Kim.

ByPhillip Kim

Fiancé(e) Visas by Immigration Attorney in Fresno

This page provides information for U.S. citizens wishing to bring a foreign national fiancé(e)

living abroad to the United States to marry.

If you plan to marry a foreign national outside the United States or your fiancé(e) is already

residing legally in the United States, you do not need to file for a fiancé(e) visa.

Eligibility Requirements

If you petition for a fiancé(e) visa, you must show that:

● You (the petitioner) are a U.S. citizen.
● You intend to marry within 90 days of your fiancé(e) entering the United States.
● You and your fiancé(e) are both free to marry and any previous marriages must have

been legally terminated by divorce, death, or annulment.
● You met each other, in person, at least once within 2 years of filing your petition. There

are two exceptions that require a waiver:
1. If the requirement to meet would violate strict and long-established customs of your or

your fiancé(e)’s foreign culture or social practice.
2. If you prove that the requirement to meet would result in extreme hardship to you.
Application Process

After the Fiancé(e) Visa is Issued

Once issued, the fiancé(e) visa (or K-1 nonimmigrant visa) allows your fiancé(e) to enter the

United States for 90 days so that your marriage ceremony can take place. Once you marry,

your spouse may apply for permanent residence and remain in the United States

Children of Fiancé(e)s

If your fiancé(e) has a child (under 21 and unmarried), a K-2 nonimmigrant visa may be

available to him or her. Be sure to include the names of your fiancé(e)’s children

Permission to Work

After admission, your fiancé(e) may immediately apply for permission to work Application

for Employment Authorization.

What happens if we do not marry within 90 days?

Fiancé(e) status automatically expires after 90 days. It cannot be extended. Your fiancé(e)

should leave the United States at the end of the 90 days if you do not marry. If your fiancé

(e) does not depart, he or she will be in violation of U.S. immigration law. This may result in

removal (deportation) and/or could affect future eligibility for U.S. immigration benefits.

We want to make plans for our wedding. How long will this process take?

To check the current processing times
For More Information, Please Contact:
Fresno Immigration Attorney Phillip Kim
(559) 761-9742

ByPhillip Kim

Green Card through a Job Offer by Immigration Attorney in Fresno

If you want to apply for a green card (permanent residence) based on the fact that you have

a permanent employment opportunity in the United States,
or if you are an employer that wants to sponsor someone for a green card based on

permanent employment in the United States, you must go through the following processes.

Unless you are eligible to petition for yourself most employment petitions require a job offer

and require that the employer petition for the worker. Most employers petition for an

employee use Petition for Alien Worker. For more information on how to petition for an

employee, Contact:
Fresno Immigration Attorney Phillip Kim
(559) 761-9742

Application Process

If You Are Living Outside the United States

You can become a permanent resident through consular processing when living outside the

United States. Consular processing is when works with the Department of State to issue a

visa on an approved petition when a visa is available. For more information on consular

processing, Contact: “Fresno Immigration Attorney Phillip Kim”
Fresno Immigration Attorney Phillip Kim

If You Are Living in the United States

You can become a permanent resident through adjustment of status when living inside the

United States. Once the Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker, is approved and a visa

number is available you can apply , Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust

Status, to become a permanent resident. For more information, Contact:
“Fresno Immigration Attorney Phillip Kim”
Fresno Immigration Attorney Phillip Kim

Supporting Evidence For Form I-485
You should submit the following evidence with your Form I-485:

◆ Evidence of inspection, admission or parole into the United States.
◆ If you have already been approved for an immigrant petition, submit a copy of the

approval notice sent to you
◆ Job offer letter from your employer
◆ Two color photos taken within 30 days, ◆Biographic Data Sheet (for applicants between

the ages of 14 and 79),
◆ Medical Examination (not required if you are applying based on continuous residence

since before 1972, or if you have had a medical exam based on a fiancé visa),
◆ Affidavit of Support (completed by the sponsor)
◆ This requirement will not apply to you if you are adjusting based on employment petition

unless you or a relative own a percentage of the employer company
◆ Any other evidence establishing eligibility

For More Information, Please Contact:
Fresno Immigration Attorney Phillip Kim
(559) 761-9742