Tag Archive Work Visa


What is the EB-2 Status Work Visa?

Permanent workers in the U.S. under EB-2 preference demonstrate that they are educated and/or highly skilled in their professional area. With EB-2 Preference, you will be granted a visa that is eligible for permanent residence status. That means you can use your EB-2 visa to get your green card and permanently relocate to the U.S.

There are 3 major areas of eligibility for the EB-2:

  1. Your prospective job requires an advanced degree which you have. An advanced degree is defined as above a U.S. bachelors or its foreign academic equivalent. It’s also acceptable to apply with a bachelor’s (or its equivalent) and 5 years relevant professional experience doing your prospective job. If you plan to substitute work experience for an advanced degree, show that your employment was progressive and that you attained a higher level of knowledge or esteem during this time. Any academic degrees must be proven through proper documentation. Applicants in this area must also have a Labor Certification Application submitted to the U.S. Department of Labor by their prospective employer on their behalf.
  2. You have exceptional professional ability in a field of the arts, sciences, or business. Entrepreneurs are eligible to get EB-2 status. Skilled or talented applicants in this category of eligibility must also have a Labor Certification Application filed on their behalf by the prospective U.S. employer. Your application should provide documentation.
  3. Eligibility with a National Interest Waiver. The National Interest waiver takes the place of the Labor Certification requirement for the other applicants. National Interest Waiver applicants are claiming and must demonstrate that the U.S. would greatly benefit from their immigration and absorption into the U.S. economy. National Interest Waivers are self-petitioners and do not need to have prospective employment in order to apply for a permanent work visa. If you are granted a National Interest Waiver, you do not need to have labor certification. You can petition for a NIW as an entrepreneur.

If you are eligible for EB-2 status visa in the second or third eligibility category, you must meet at least 3 of the following criteria:

  • documents demonstrating educational attainment, including academic records, certificates, etc.
  • documentation of at least 10 years full-time relevant professional experience
  • a professional license or certificate qualifying you to practice your trained profession
  • evidence that your professional experience was salaried, paid work
  • commendations of skill or experience from peers, associations, or the government
  •  membership (or past membership) in professional associations in your field of work

For the EB-2 status visa, your family can also apply to travel with you as permanent residents with EB-2 status. Qualifying family are spouses and unmarried children under 18 years old.

For more information and help with getting a visa, contact immigration attorney Phillip Kim.

ByPhillip Kim

H-1B Visa Attorney H1 work visa H1B Fresno Immigration Lawyer Green Card Visas Citizenship

H1B UPDATE 07/10/09:

The USCIS reports that it has received approximately 44,900 cap subject H1b applications and approximately 20,000 petitions qualifying for the US Masters degree exemption as of 7-10-09. The USCIS continues to accept applications in both categories.

You may still adjust your status to H-1B.

Immigration attorney in Fresno, CA:
Immigration Lawyer Fresno;
Green Card Attorney Fresno Lawyer;
Citizenship Lawyer Fresno Attorney;
Fiance Visa Lawyer Fresno;
Sponsor Wife Husband Fresno Lawyer;
Deportation Defense Attorney Fresno;
Cancellation of Removal Lawyer Fresno;

Please contact:

Immigration Law Offices of Phillip Kim, Inc.
1320 E. Shaw Avenue, Ste 148
Fresno, CA 93710

(559) 761-1040

Affordable Immigration Services by Experienced Attorneys

(click on “legal fees”)

Attorney Phillip Kim represents his clients from the Central Valley, Southern California, and Northern California including Fresno County, Kings County, Kern County, Stanislaus County, Tulare County, Merced County, San Joaquin Valley County, Los Angeles County, and the San Francisco Bay area with cities such as Fresno, Clovis, Sanger, Merced, Tulare, Visalia, Modesto, Stockton, Hanford, Lemoore, San Jose, San Francisco, and San Diego.

ByPhillip Kim

H-1 Work Visa H-1B Immigration Lawyer F-1 Change of Status Attorney Fresno

Q: What is an H-1B?
The H-1B is a nonimmigrant classification used by an alien who will be employed temporarily in a specialty occupation or as a fashion model of distinguished merit and ability.

Q: Is there an annual limit?
The current law limits to 65,000 the number of aliens who may be issued a visa or otherwise provided H-1B status in FY2004. (The numerical limitation was temporarily raised to 195,000 in FY2001, FY2002 and FY2003.)

Q: How can I apply?
H-1B status requires a sponsoring U.S. employer. The employer must file a labor condition application (LCA) with the Department of Labor attesting to several items, including payment of prevailing wages for the position, and the working conditions offered. The employer must then file the certified LCA with a Form I-129 petition plus accompanying fee. (Prior to FY2004, employers were required to submit an additional $1,000 fee to sponsor the H-1B worker, unless specifically exempt.) Based on the USCIS petition approval, the alien may apply for the H-1B visa, admission, or a change of nonimmigrant status.

If you need legal assistance on H-1B H-1 Visas or Change of Status, please contact us at
(559) 761-1040.
You will be able to speak DIRECTLY with an attorney.