Tag Archive EB-2


What is the EB-2 Status Work Visa?

Permanent workers in the U.S. under EB-2 preference demonstrate that they are educated and/or highly skilled in their professional area. With EB-2 Preference, you will be granted a visa that is eligible for permanent residence status. That means you can use your EB-2 visa to get your green card and permanently relocate to the U.S.

There are 3 major areas of eligibility for the EB-2:

  1. Your prospective job requires an advanced degree which you have. An advanced degree is defined as above a U.S. bachelors or its foreign academic equivalent. It’s also acceptable to apply with a bachelor’s (or its equivalent) and 5 years relevant professional experience doing your prospective job. If you plan to substitute work experience for an advanced degree, show that your employment was progressive and that you attained a higher level of knowledge or esteem during this time. Any academic degrees must be proven through proper documentation. Applicants in this area must also have a Labor Certification Application submitted to the U.S. Department of Labor by their prospective employer on their behalf.
  2. You have exceptional professional ability in a field of the arts, sciences, or business. Entrepreneurs are eligible to get EB-2 status. Skilled or talented applicants in this category of eligibility must also have a Labor Certification Application filed on their behalf by the prospective U.S. employer. Your application should provide documentation.
  3. Eligibility with a National Interest Waiver. The National Interest waiver takes the place of the Labor Certification requirement for the other applicants. National Interest Waiver applicants are claiming and must demonstrate that the U.S. would greatly benefit from their immigration and absorption into the U.S. economy. National Interest Waivers are self-petitioners and do not need to have prospective employment in order to apply for a permanent work visa. If you are granted a National Interest Waiver, you do not need to have labor certification. You can petition for a NIW as an entrepreneur.

If you are eligible for EB-2 status visa in the second or third eligibility category, you must meet at least 3 of the following criteria:

  • documents demonstrating educational attainment, including academic records, certificates, etc.
  • documentation of at least 10 years full-time relevant professional experience
  • a professional license or certificate qualifying you to practice your trained profession
  • evidence that your professional experience was salaried, paid work
  • commendations of skill or experience from peers, associations, or the government
  •  membership (or past membership) in professional associations in your field of work

For the EB-2 status visa, your family can also apply to travel with you as permanent residents with EB-2 status. Qualifying family are spouses and unmarried children under 18 years old.

For more information and help with getting a visa, contact immigration attorney Phillip Kim.