Tag Archive Continuous Residence

ByPhillip Kim

Naturalization for Spouses of U.S. Citizens by Immigration Attorney in Fresno

In general, you may qualify for naturalization if you have been a permanent resident (green

card holder) for at least 3 years, have been living in marital union with the same U.S. citizen

spouse during such time, and meet all other eligibility requirements under this section.

In certain cases, spouses of U.S. citizens employed abroad may qualify for naturalization

regardless of their time as permanent residents.

General Eligibility Requirements

● Be 18 or older
● Be a permanent resident (green card holder) for at least 3 years
● Have been living in marital union with the U.S. citizen spouse, who has been a U.S.

citizen during all of such period, during the 3 years immediately preceding the date of filing

the application and up until examination on the application
● Have lived within the state, or US district with jurisdiction over the applicant’s place of

residence, for at least 3 months prior to the date of filing the application
● Have continuous residence in the United States as a lawful permanent resident for at

least 3 years immediately preceding the date of filing the application
● Reside continuously within the United States from the date of application for

naturalization until the time of naturalization
● Be physically present in the United States for at least 18 months out of the 3 years

immediately preceding the date of filing the application
● Be able to read, write, and speak English and have knowledge and an understanding of

U.S. history and government (civics)
● Be a person of good moral character, attached to the principles of the Constitution of

the United States, and well disposed to the good order and happiness of the United States

during all relevant periods under the law

Spouses of U.S. Citizens Employed Abroad

Generally, the spouse of a U.S. citizen who is employed by the U.S. government, including

the military, or other qualifying employer, whose spouse is stationed abroad in such

employment for at least 1 year, may be eligible for naturalization

In general, a spouse of a U.S. citizen employed abroad must be present in the United States

pursuant to a lawful admission for permanent residence at the time of examination on the

naturalization application and at the time of naturalization, and meet of all of the

requirements listed above except that:

● No specific period as a permanent resident (green card holder) is required (but the

spouse must be a permanent resident)
● No specific period of continuous residence or physical presence in the United States is

● No specific period of marital union is required; however, the spouses must be living in

marital union.

Note: You must also establish that you will depart abroad immediately after naturalization

and that you intend to reside in the United States immediately upon the termination of your

spouse’s employment abroad.
For More Information, Please Contact:
Fresno Immigration Attorney Phillip Kim
(559) 761-9742

ByPhillip Kim

There are many different ways to obtain a green card. This article summarizes the green card process in a nutshell. If you need more information on a particular way of getting a green card, please click on “sitemap” below.

If you would like to become a lawful permanent resident in the United States, you must file the following items with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services:

Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status

Biographic Data Sheet (Between the ages of 14 and 79)

Medical Examination Sheet (not required if you are applying based on continuous residence since before 1972, or if you have had a medical exam based on a fiancé visa)

Two color photos taken within 30 days (Please see USCIS Form I-485 for more instructions on photos.)

Affidavit of Support (completed by the sponsor). (This requirement may not apply to you if you are adjusting to permanent resident status based on an employment petition.)

In addition:

If you have already been approved for an immigrant petition , you must submit a copy of the approval notice sent to you by the USCIS.

If someone else is or has filed a petition for you that, if approved, will make an immigrant number immediately available to you, you must submit a copy of the completed petition that is being filed for you. Such applications include only immediate relative, special immigrant juvenile or special immigrant military petitions.

If you were admitted into the United States as a fiancé of a U.S. citizen and married that citizen within the required 90 days, you must submit a copy of the fiancé petition approval notice and a copy of your marriage certificate.

If you are an asylee or refugee, you must submit a copy of the letter or Form I-94 (Arrival-Departure Record) that shows the date you were granted asylum or refuge in the United States.

If your parent became a lawful permanent resident after you were born, you must submit evidence that your parent has been or will be granted permanent residence. You must also submit a copy of your birth certificate, and proof of your relationship with your parent.

For more information:
(559) 761-1040

If you would like to hire an attorney for reasonable and affordable fees, please call to speak DIRECTLY with an attorney:

Immigration Law Offices of Phillip Kim, Inc.

To find out the attorney’s legal FEES, go to:
www.PhillipKimLaw.com and click on “legal FEES”.

Attorney Phillip Kim represents his clients from the Central Valley, Southern California, and Northern California including Fresno County, Kings County, Kern County, Stanislaus County, Tulare County, Merced County, San Joaquin Valley County, Los Angeles County, and the San Francisco Bay area with cities such as Fresno, Clovis, Sanger, Merced, Tulare, Visalia, Modesto, Stockton, Hanford, Lemoore, San Jose, San Francisco, and San Diego.