On January 25, 2017, President Trump announced that he would suspend any immigration for at least 30 days from a number of predominantly Muslim countries — Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen — while the government toughened its already stringent screening procedures to weed out potential terrorists.
President Donald Trump’s administration says green card holders — including those detained at airports across the United States in the wake of Trump’s ban on travel from seven nations — will be allowed into the country.
Reince Priebus, Trump’s chief of staff, said on NBC’s “Meet the Press” that “as far as green card holders moving forward, it doesn’t affect them.”
However, he later added: “If you’re traveling back and forth you’re going to be subjected to further screening.”
Green card holders from the seven banned countries, when they land, will undergo additional security screening, including an interview and having their fingerprints checked, sources told CNN. If there are no red flags, then they would be allowed entry.
So far, DHS officials say 81 green card holders have been allowed in and none have been denied entry.
“There is discretionary authority that a Customs and Border Patrol agent has when they suspect that someone is up to no good when they travel back and forth to Libya or Yemen,” Priebus said.
Priebus’ comments come in the wake of a judge issuing a stay blocking the deportation of those affected by Trump’s executive order blocking foreigners from seven countries — including refugees — from entering the United States.
The order led to protests at airports across the United States and controversy over whether people who had lived and worked in the country for years would be allowed to return from trips overseas. Some were still being detained Sunday morning.