Tag Archive Unmarried Children

ByPhillip Kim

Green Card Attorney Fresno California Citizenship Visa Lawyer

Green Card Eligibility

You may be eligible to apply for a green card (permanent residence) through your family, a job offer or employment, refugee or asylum status, or a number of other special provisions. In some cases, you may even be able to self petition or have a record created for permanent residence on your behalf. In general, to meet the requirements for permanent residence in the United States, you must:
Be eligible for one of the immigrant categories established in the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA)
Have a qualifying immigrant petition filed and approved for you (with a few exceptions)
Have an immigrant visa immediately available
Be admissible to the United States

Each requirement is detailed below.

Eligibility for an Immigrant Category

Individuals who want to become immigrants (permanent residents) through their qualified family member, a job offer or employment, or a special category will generally be classified in categories based on a preference system. Except for immediate relatives of a U.S. citizen who are given the highest immigration priority and a few other exceptions, Congress has set a finite number of visas that can be used each year for each category of immigrants. The general categories are listed below. For more specific information under each general category, see the links to the left.

Family Based

Some relatives of U.S. citizens, known as immediate relatives, do not have to wait for a visa to become available. There is no limit to the number of visas that can be utilized in this category in a particular year. Immediate relatives include:
Parents of a U.S. citizen
Spouses of a U.S. citizen
Unmarried children under the age of 21 of a U.S. citizen

Note: U.S. citizens must be at least 21 years old to apply for their parents

The qualified relatives of a U.S. citizen or permanent resident in the remaining family-based categories may have to wait for a visa to become available before they can apply for permanent residency. These categories include:
First Preference: Unmarried, adult (21 years of age or older) sons and daughters of U.S. citizens
Second Preference A: Spouses of permanent residents and the unmarried children (under the age of 21)) of permanent residents
Second Preference B: Unmarried sons and daughters (21 years or age or older) of permanent residents
Third Preference: Married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens, their spouses and their minor children
Fourth Preference: Brothers and sisters of adult U.S. citizens, their spouses and their minor children

For more information on green card eligibility through a family member, CALL (559) 761-9742 or Click HERE.

ByPhillip Kim

E-1 E-2 Visas; Treaty Trader Visa; Treaty Investor Visa

The E1 and E2 nonimmigrant visa categories are comprised of treaty traders and treaty investors entitled to be in the United States under a bilateral treaty of commerce and navigation between the United States and the country of which the treaty trader or investor is a citizen or national.

*� The purpose of a treaty trader is to carry on substantial trade in goods, services and technology, principally between the United States and the foreign country of which s/he is a citizen or national.

� The purpose of a treaty investor is to direct the operations of an enterprise in which s/he has invested, or is actively investing, a substantial amount of capital in the United States.
Spouses and unmarried children under the age of 21 of an E1 or E2 nonimmigrant may be granted the same status to accompany the E1 or E2.

The EB5 immigrant employment-based visa category is for individuals who wish to reside permanently in the United States with the intent of creating or developing a business enterprise in the U.S. The EB5 visa category allows for conditional residency for persons who invest $1 million (or under certain circumstances $500,000) in a new commercial enterprise that employs 10 U.S. citizens or authorized immigrant workers full-time and engage in the business through day-to-day management or policy formation.

For more information, contact us.