Tag Archive Lawyer


How to Apply for a Work Permit under New Immigration Law

The Obama Administration’s latest new immigration law could benefit many immigrants.

Effective June 15th, 2012, President Obama’s new immigration law will do two things for young immigrants: prevent deportation and grant work permits.

The Obama Administration decided it was time to address the needs of thousands of struggling, young immigrants. Many of these immigrants were brought the United States at a young age and have significant ties to this country – some have lived here since they were children and only speak English. The new law is meant to provide these immigrants with a solution that would prevent them from being deported and would also allow them to work legally in the U.S.

The law is tailored for immigrants who are currently under the age of 30. The immigrant must prove that he is not a threat to the country. Good moral character will also be taken into account. This means that if the immigrant has a history of crime or criminal offenses, he may be denied under this new law.

The new law is meant for young immigrants who came to the U.S. under the age of 16. As minors, these immigrants had no choice in coming to this country. Now that they are here, they should be allowed to stay and get work legally.

Finally, the last requirements under this law are that the immigrant is currently in school or has graduated from high school. If you have received some form of a G.E.D., then that would be acceptable as well. You must also have been living in the U.S. since 2007. If you left at any time within the past 5 years or are currently NOT in the U.S., then you might not be eligible to apply under this law.

Even though you meet these minimum requirements, you may not be eligible for the benefits of this new law. For example, documents must be submitted as proof or evidence that you meet the requirements. If you fail to provide the government with proper documents, your case may be denied.

Furthermore, there may be more requirements for specific cases. A certain criminal offense might still mean that you are eligible for some protection under this law, while other offenses will bar you from benefits altogether.

For these reasons, it is important to discuss your options with a specialized immigration lawyer. Contact Attorney Phillip Kim for more information about Obama’s new law and how it will affect you.

Phillip Kim, esq.
Phillip Kim Law Center

Fresno Office
(559) 448-8500


Working in the U.S. Without a Green Card? Learn How to Apply for One

There are many ways to obtain a green card as a worker. Some of the categories that may be approved for a worker’s green card are: offer of permanent employment, entrepreneurship, investment, special or particular skills. There are also certain fields of work currently allowing green card applications as workers. If you have a job offer for permanent work, you can apply for your green card from both inside and outside the U.S. but the procedure does differ.

If you are living in the U.S., you must first submit a petition for status as an immigrant worker. After your petition there is a waiting period for a visa. After your visa becomes available, you can apply for your green card as a permanent worker. Your ability to prove your eligibility as a permanent worker with a job offer will aid in the green card process.

If you are not yet living in the United States, submit your petition as a worker from your country of origin. After your application is submitted, there will be a waiting period for an available visa. Once your visa is approved, you may travel to the U.S. for residence.

For more information on obtaining a green card, contact immigration attorney Phillip Kim.

(559) 761-9472


Related to a U.S. Citizen? Learn How to Get a Green Card!

There are multiple ways to get a green card as a relative of a U.S. citizen. As the spouse, unmarried child, or parent of an adult citizen (over 21 years old) you qualify as an immediate relative. Green cards for immediate relatives are unlimited, so there is no waiting for a visa as an immediate family member. Receiving a green card will allow you to live and work in the U.S. as a permanent resident.

If you are already in the United States, to receive a green card, you will file need to file for permanent residence. Second, you will petition for your status as an immediate relative of a citizen. For immediate relatives of U.S., these two steps can be done at the same time or you can submit your petition and then file for residence.

If you are not yet living in the U.S., you must submit your petition for residence as a family member of a citizen first. After your petition is submitted, there is a waiting period for a visa to allow you to travel to the U.S. This process is the same for immediate and non-immediate family members of citizens.

Your status as a child will most likely be counted from the date of your petition, and that to keep the status of child you must be 21 years old or younger. Also, children under 21 must be unmarried through the green card process in order to count as immediate relatives. If you are the married child of a U.S. citizen you do not count as an immediate relative, but can still petition for residence as a family member of a U.S. citizen.

For more information and help with getting a green card, contact attorney Phillip Kim in Fresno, California.

(559) 761-9742


Getting a Green Card: Who Qualifies For the LIFE Act?

The Legal Immigration Family Equity (LIFE) Act allows some people to change their status to permanent resident even if they would not be otherwise eligible. Protection under the LIFE Act is called Section 245 adjustment of status and it might be able to help you get a green card.

To get a green card under the LIFE act, someone needs to have petitioned for you as an alien worker or relative or have a labor certification filed before April 30, 2001. If you have one of these petitions in your name, you may qualify for a green card through the LIFE act. Section 245 needs you to have a visa readily available to you, so file your form when one becomes available. If you have a visa available and the proper certification (listed above) the LIFE Act can provide permanent residence regardless of unlawful presence in the U.S., working illegally in the U.S., or leaving the U.S. during your stay, which disrupts your continuous stay. This means you can file for Section 245 residence under the LIFE Act if you are currently present in the U.S. unlawfully or have been working without a permanent work visa.

In order to receive a green card under section 245, you must be admissible to the U.S. This means you should be careful not to trigger inadmissibility. For example, you should not depart the country after unlawful stay in the U.S. because you will be barred from re-entry. Look into INA law for instructions on avoiding inadmissibility.

Children and spouses of section 245 green card holders may also be offered protection from removal if they have been living in the U.S. and can be granted employment lawfully under your LIFE Act residence card.

You should check the dates that section 245 requires you or your family to have been in the U.S. because they are often changing. Always be careful to file the most current forms with the most current information to avoid delays in your application process.

For more information and help with getting a green card, contact immigration attorney Phillip Kim!

(559) 761-9742


Want to Come to the U.S. as a Specialized Employee? If Your Company Has a Relationship with a U.S. Office, You May Qualify for L-1B Status!

L-1B classification is for intracompany employees that are transferred to the U.S. for specialized knowledge of a company. L-1B status is used by specialized knowledge employees that are transferred from a company in a foreign country to an affiliated company in the U.S. If an office is not open in the U.S., employees who have specialized knowledge about the company can be transferred to the U.S. to set up an office.

Are you eligible? For starters, the U.S. employer must meet certain qualifications. The employer must have a relationship with the foreign company. This relationship can be one of the following: branch or parent companies (the foreign company created the U.S. office or vice versa), sister companies, or affiliated organizations. Two distinct companies that have nothing to do with each other will not qualify. But a company that spread internationally or is related to another company is qualified.

Also, the employer must be doing business in the U.S. and in at least 1 other country. This business can be direct or through the use of an affiliate business (sort of like a middle-man) while the employee stays in the U.S. “Doing business” means actively producing or supplying good and services. Just the presence of employees or offices abroad does not mean that they are “doing business”.

As an employee, you must meet certain requirements as well. Before coming to the U.S., it must be true that you worked for one whole year, nonstop, in the affiliate company abroad. Nonstop means that you did not take prolonged breaks during that year. For example, if you work at “Company 1” for 5 months, and then work for “Company 2” for a couple months and eventually come back to “Company 1” for the last 7 months does not mean you qualify. The job had to have lasted for one whole, complete year. Certain breaks like vacation might be acceptable. Speak with an attorney for more specific information about your case. Also, the year of employment must have been done within 3 years before coming to the U.S.

If you are the employee, you must also plan to come to the U.S. to provide services to the company or affiliate company. The services you can provide must depend on your specialized knowledge.

What is Specialized Knowledge? As the employee, your knowledge must consist of knowing information about the company you plan to work for. You must have extensive knowledge of the organization’s services or products provided, research or equipment that is used by the company, or the organization’s special techniques or management, AND how this company information is applied to the international market. Or you must have expertise in the company’s procedures or what actions the company takes to reach certain goals. Overall, specialized knowledge is not common in the industry you belong to. You have to be a notch above “skilled”. You need to know more than what the company’s interests are.

If you are sent to set up a new office, you must provide evidence of the area where the office will be located. The area must be sufficiently reserved by you or your company. The employer must be financially able to pay you and start a business.

If you come to set up a new office, you can stay for an initial period of 1 year. If you come as a professional employee, you can stay for 3 years. For both groups, the stay can be extended by 2 years until you reach the maximum of 5 years.

Your family can come to the U.S. too! Your spouse and unmarried children under 21 years of age are eligible for L-2 status. If approved, they can stay for as long as you do. Is your family already here? They can apply for L-2 status with Form I-765 with a fee. Your spouse can apply for and get work authorization while they stay here.

***Don’t meet the criteria of affiliated company? You might still be eligible: If you will be working at an unaffiliated company, your employer has to show…
That you will not be supervised by the unaffiliated organization employer AND
That you will not be considered “labor for hire” for the U.S. company or organization

This is not a full article on L-1B classification. There are a lot of other facts to consider and sometimes exceptions can be made to individual cases. For more information about L-1B status and whether or not you are eligible, contact specialized Immigration Lawyer Phillip Kim today!