Category Archive J-1 Waiver

ByPhillip Kim

Getting U.S. Citizenship Through Naturalization


U.S. citizenship provides many rights, but also involves many responsibilities. Thus, the decision to become a U.S. citizen through naturalization is important. By becoming a U.S. citizen, you gain many rights that permanent residents or others do not have, including the right to vote. To be eligible for naturalization, you must first meet certain requirements set by U.S. law.

Requirements to be eligible for naturalization include being age 18 or older, being a permanent resident for a certain time period, having good moral character, having a basic knowledge of the U.S. government, having continuous residence in the U.S., and being able to communicate English (with some exceptions).

So when is it possible to apply for naturalization?

One may be able to apply for naturalization if he/she is at least 18 years of age and have been a permanent resident either for at least 5 years, at least 3 years (during which you have been in a marriage relationship with your U.S. citizen husband or wife), or have honorable service in the U.S. military. Certain spouses of U.S. citizens and/or members of the military may be able to file for naturalization sooner than noted above.

To learn more about the naturalization process and take the first step in applying for U.S. citizenship, contact attorney Phillip Kim for specialized help tailored to your needs.


Interested in J-1 agency? Learn More Here

J-1 visas are designed to increase social interactions between people of different countries. These visas enhance cultural values and education throughout the world. Specifically, J-1 visas allow foreigners to come to the U.S. with non-immigrant status as foreign exchange students, interns, trainees, or workers.

Every month, more than 150,000 people participate in the J-1 program. These Student Visas are amongst the most popular non-immigrant visas.

There are a variety of programs available to those seeking J-1 non-immigrant status. Agriculture, hospitality, business, communication, and engineering are just some of the programs that are available to people world-wide.

Some programs come with a salary and others don’t. It depends on the company or organization and what their specialty is. Time periods also vary from one organization to the next. While some companies sponsor students for up to 18 months, others keep workers or students for just the summer of a 6 month program.

J-1 exchange visitors need sponsorship from such organizations. There are a few different ways to secure sponsorship:

• Contact the company directly and they will assist you with what you need to do in order to get a position in their firm

• Contact a third part recruiting agency in your home country who will take your resume or qualifications and match you with a job or education opening in the U.S.

• Find a company that will hire you on your own and contact a sponsorship organization that will offer you a sponsorship if your suggested employer or university clears their required standards.

Companies often offer some advice about how to get a visa but this is not always the case. Furthermore, they do not go through the process step-by-step with you, leaving room for error in your application.

Specialized Immigration Attorneys will assist you in finding the right company and sponsor. They will also file your visa paperwork for you, so you can be sure that your request won’t be denied if you are eligible. Plus, Immigration Lawyers will work with you if you want or need to reapply for a visa or extend your status.

Immigration Attorney Phillip Kim has handles a variety of immigration cases. If you have any questions about J-1 Agency or how to apply for a J-1 visa, contact Attorney Phillip Kim right away!

ByPhillip Kim

Employment-Based Immigration by Attorney in Fresno: First Preference EB-1

Employment-Based Immigration: First Preference EB-1
You may be eligible for an employment-based, first-preference visa if you have an

extraordinary ability, are an outstanding professor or researcher, or are a multinational

executive or manager. Each occupational category has certain requirements that must be


Eligibility Criteria
◆ Extraordinary Ability
You must be able to demonstrate extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education,

business, or athletics through sustained national or international acclaim. Your

achievements must be recognized in your field through extensive documentation. No offer

of employment is required.

◆ Outstanding professors and researchers
You must demonstrate international recognition for your outstanding achievements in a

particular academic field. You must have at least 3 years experience in teaching or

research in that academic area. You must be entering the United States in order to

pursue tenure or tenure track teaching or comparable research position at a university or

other institution of higher education.

◆ Multinational manager or executive
You must have been employed outside the United States in the 3 years preceding the

petition for at least 1 year by a firm or corporation and you must be seeking to enter the

United States to continue service to that firm or organization. Your employment must

have been outside the United States in a managerial or executive capacity and with the

same employer, an affiliate, or a subsidiary of the employer.

For More Information, Please Contact:
Fresno Immigration Attorney Phillip Kim
(559) 761-9742

* Criteria for Demonstrating Extraordinary Ability
You must meet 3 out of the 10 listed criteria below to prove extraordinary ability in your


● Evidence of receipt of lesser nationally or internationally recognized prizes or awards

for excellence
● Evidence of your membership in associations in the field which demand outstanding

achievement of their members
● Evidence of published material about you in professional or major trade publications or

other major media
● Evidence that you have been asked to judge the work of others, either individually or

on a panel
● Evidence of your original scientific, scholarly, artistic, athletic, or business-related

contributions of major significance to the field
● Evidence of your authorship of scholarly articles in professional or major trade

publications or other major media
● Evidence that your work has been displayed at artistic exhibitions or showcases
● Evidence of your performance of a leading or critical role in distinguished organizations
● Evidence that you command a high salary or other significantly high remuneration in

relation to others in the field
● Evidence of your commercial successes in the performing arts

** Examples of Documentary Evidence That A Person is an Outstanding Professor Or


● Evidence of receipt of major prizes or awards for outstanding achievement
● Evidence of membership in associations that require their members to demonstrate

outstanding achievement
● Evidence of published material in professional publications written by others about the

alien’s work in the academic field
● Evidence of participation, either on a panel or individually, as a judge of the work of

others in the same or allied academic field
● Evidence of original scientific or scholarly research contributions in the field
● Evidence of authorship of scholarly books or articles (in scholarly journals with

international circulation) in the field

For More Information, Please Contact:
Fresno Immigration Attorney Phillip Kim
(559) 761-9742

ByPhillip Kim

Permanent Workers by Immigration Attorney in Fresno

Approximately 140,000 immigrant visas are available each fiscal year for aliens (and their spouses and children) who seek to immigrate based on their job skills. If you have the right combination of skills, education, and/or work experience and are otherwise eligible, you may be able to live permanently in the United States.
The five employment-based immigrant visa preferences (categories) are listed below.

Labor Certification

Some immigrant visa preferences require you to already have a job offer from a U.S. employer. This employer will be considered your sponsor. For some visa categories, before the U.S. employer can submit an immigration petition to USCIS, the employer must obtain an approved labor certification from the U.S.

Department of Labor (DOL). The DOL labor certification verifies the following:

● There are insufficient available, qualified, and willing U.S. workers to fill the position being offered at the prevailing wage
● Hiring a foreign worker will not adversely affect the wages and working conditions of similarly employed U.S. workers
For more information, Please Contact:
Fresno Immigration Attorney Phillip Kim
(559) 761-9742

Permanent Worker Visa Preference Categories

● First Preference EB-1
This preference is reserved for persons of extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics; outstanding professors or researchers; and multinational executives and managers. /Labor Certification Required? No

● Second Preference EB-2
This preference is reserved for persons who are members of the professions holding advanced degrees or for persons with exceptional ability in the arts, sciences, or business.
/Labor Certification Required?
Yes, unless applicant can obtain a national interest waiver (See the “Labor Certification” link to the right for more waiver information.)

● Third Preference EB-3
This preference is reserved for professionals, skilled workers, and other workers. (See Third Preference EB-3 link on left for further definition of these job classifications.)/Labor Certification Required?

● Fourth Preference EB-4
This preference is reserved for “special immigrants,” which includes certain religious workers, employees of U.S. foreign service posts, retired employees of international organizations, alien minors who are wards of courts in the United States, and other classes of aliens. /Labor Certification Required? No

● Fifth Preference EB-5
This preference is reserved for business investors who invest $1 million or $500,000 (if the investment is made in a targeted employment area) in a new commercial enterprise that employs at least 10 full-time U.S. workers. /Labor Certification Required? No

For More Information, Please Contact:
Fresno Immigration Attorney Phillip Kim
(559) 761-9742

ByPhillip Kim

Green Card Through Family by Immigration Attorney in Fresno

Many people become permanent residents (get a green card) through family members. The United States promotes family unity and allows U.S. citizens and permanent residents to

petition for certain relatives to come and live permanently in the United States. You may be eligible to get a green card through a family member who is a U.S. citizen or permanent

resident, or through the special categories described below. For more information on the

categories below, Please Contact : Fresno Immigration Attorney Phillip Kim

There are two distinct paths through which you can get your green card. Many family members who are already in the United States may qualify for adjustment of status to

permanent residence in the United States, which means they are able to complete their immigrant processing without having to return to their home country. Those relatives outside the United States or those who are not eligible to adjust status in the United States

may be eligible for consular processing through a U.S. embassy or consulate abroad that has jurisdiction over their foreign place of residence. For more information on these processes, Please Contact :Phillip Kim

If Your Family Member is a U.S. Citizen

You may be able to get a green card as an immediate relative or as a family member in a preference category if your U.S. citizen relative files a Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, for you. For more information on immigrant petitions, Please Contact :
(559) 761-9742

◆ Immediate Relative of a U.S. Citizen
You are an immediate relative of a U.S. citizen if you are:

◆ The child (unmarried and under 21 years old) of a U.S. citizen
◆ The spouse (husband or wife) of a U.S. citizen
◆ The parent of a U.S. citizen (if the U.S. citizen is 21 years or older)
◆ Family Member of a U.S. Citizen in a Preference Category
You are a family member of a U.S. citizen in a preference category if you are:

◆ An unmarried son or daughter (21 years or older) of a U.S. citizen
◆ A married son or daughter (any age) of a U.S. citizen
◆ A sibling (brother or sister) of a U.S. citizen
If Your Family Member is a Permanent Resident

You may be able to get a green card as a family member in a preference category if your

family member filed a Form I-130 on your behalf. For more information on immigrant

petitions, Please Contact :Fresno Immigration Attorney Phillip Kim

◆ Family member of a permanent resident in a preference category
You are a family member of a permanent resident in a preference category if you are:

◆ The spouse of a permanent resident
◆ The child (unmarried and under 21 years old) of permanent resident
◆ The unmarried son or daughter (21 years or older) of a permanent resident Green Card Through Special Categories of Family

You may also be eligible to get a green card if you:

◆ Are a battered child or spouse of a U.S. citizen
◆ Entered the United States with a K visa as the fiance(e) or spouse of a U.S. citizen or an accompanying child
◆ Obtained V nonimmigrant status
◆ Are a widow(er) of a U.S. citizen
◆ Are born to a foreign diplomat in the United States
For more information on “Adjustment of Status” and “Consular Processing” , Please

Fresno Immigration Attorney Phillip Kim
(559) 761-9742

ByPhillip Kim

J Visa Waiver of the Two-Year Home Residence Requirement

The statute declares that exchange visitors subject to the two-year home country residence requirement may seek a waiver of that requirement in four situations:
(1) upon request of an interested government agency;
(2) upon a showing of undue and unanticipated hardship to the exchange visitor’s family in the United States
(3) when the exchange visitor faces persecution in his or her home country; or
(4) when the exchange visitor’s home country declares that it does not object to the waiver. This is the so-called “no objection” statement.

The waiver may be filed using more than one of the situations above.

I. Request by a Government Agency
i. A US government agency must submit documentary evidence showing that the exchange visitor’s departure would be clearly detrimental to a program or activity of official interest to an agency of the US government.

ii. Broad and remote connection to the agency could qualify.
For example, if a J-1 exchange visitor is working at a research institute that receives National Science Foundation (NSF) money, the NSF should be considered.
If the J-1 exchange visitor is acting a consultant on a contract to expand trade to his or her homeland, the Dpt. of Commerce should be considered.

II. Exceptional Hardship
i. The elements to be considered:
1. Physical or mental conditions of the spouse or child that would be adversely affected by residence abroad
2. Need for the spouse to remain in the United States to continue employment essential to family maintenance or to care for a dependent relative
3. Applicant’s inability to support his or her family abroad or to support them in a separate household in the United States
4. Interruption of spouse (US citizen)’s established career
5. Serious economic consequences
6. Severance of close family relationship
7. Erroneous advice of a US consul or immigration officials, before marriage, that foreign residence requirement did not apply
8. A regime in the home country that is unfriendly to the United States
ii. These are not exclusive considerations, and each case is decided on its own merits.
iii. The assessment of hardship must be based on “a totality of the circumstances”.

III. Persecution in Home Country
i. The applicant possesses a belief or characteristic a persecutor seeks to overcome in others by means of punishment of some sort;
ii. The persecutor is already aware, or could easily become aware, that the applicant possesses this belief or characteristic;
iii. The persecutor has the capability of punishing the individual; and
iv. The persecutor has the inclination to punish the applicant.

IV. No Objection Statement
i. The statement must be transmitted to the Dpt. of State through official channels; Statements not addressed to the Dpt. of State and statements transmitted by the exchange visitor or by his attorney or other private individuals or organizations will not be acceptable.
ii. In many instances, the country’s consular officers are given authority by their governments to issue such statements; in such cases, they must transmit the statement to the Dpt. of State, either through the US diplomatic mission in their country or through the country’s mission in Washington.
iii. In no objection cases as in other waiver requests, the Dpt. of State reviews the “program, policy, and foreign relations” of the case in deciding whether to recommend a waiver to the CIS.